Sunday, February 20, 2011

3 Months Old!


3 Months! I swear she smiles, but I can never catch it on camera!
Audrey is 3 months old today! Some of the books I've been reading (can you tell I'm obsessed with reading these baby books?) say that this signals the end of the "fourth trimester." The theory is that based on baby's development and behavior, they should really still be in utero for an entire year. I can say that I'm thankful that is not true! Not to jinx myself, but I do feel like things are starting to get a little easier. Maybe it's just that I'm getting the hang of this motherhood thing finally! :-)

Baby's first hair bow!
This week, we went to a breastfeeding support group. They had a scale there, so I weighed Audrey for the first time since her last doctor's appointment (2 months) and she had only gained a pound. Based on what "the books" say, she should be gaining half a pound a week, so I decided to take her to the doctor to get weighed to make sure everything is on track. Another thing that they don't tell you (there are a lot of things "they" don't tell you about motherhood I've discovered!) is that once you become a mother, you instantly start to worry. Maybe it's just me, but I'm constantly worried about her. I guess my mom was right when she always said "just wait until you're a mom!" Darnit. So she now weighs almost 11 lbs and is 23 inches. So she gained a pound and an inch in a month. The doctor said that an inch is a lot to grow in a month, so she's not worried about the weight gain. So I'm glad we went to the doctor, it eased my mind (for now at least!).
Another VERY exciting development has occurred within the last two days - sleep! Two nights ago, she slept for 8 straight hours! The longest she has gone before that was just 6, so this was very exciting! Of course, I woke up every few hours to make sure she was still breathing, but I still got more sleep than I had in a long time. And then, last night she slept for 9 hours! She went to bed at 9:45 p.m. and woke up a 6:45 a.m. to eat and then went back to sleep until 9:45 a.m., so it was really more like 12 hours! Scott thinks she might be going through a growth spurt or something, but I'm not going to complain! She still will only take 30 minute naps during the day, but that's fine with me if she continues to sleep during the night!

Finally, we've had some pooping issues this week. She has exploded out of more outfits this week than her first 3 months combined! It started on Sunday - we went to my friend Jeannie's house to watch the Grammy's and she exploded out of her diaper in her car seat right when we arrived. Good thing I had a backup outfit. Unfortunately, it happened again on Tuesday at the doctor's office. Forgot to pack a new backup outfit - oops! Needless to say, we had a bath when we got home.

Audrey with future boyfriend Braden (in her backup outfit at Jeannie's house) - how cute is he???

No comments:

Post a Comment